Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Saturday in Pittsburgh

I need to finish these Pittsburgh posts because I have more I need to post about!

On Saturday, we decided we would go out to eat for lunch and then head to the science center. My poor Mom was still battling with her food poisoning and stayed home to recover. Next on the list of places where Kyle wanted to go while in Pittsburgh was Primanti Brothers. They make really good sandwiches where they add cole slaw, tomatoes, and french fries to your sandwich! Yummy!! Kyle and I both ordered the Pastrami because we wanted to get a classic Primanti sandwich. Next time we might venture out and order something different. It was very good! I can't believe I had lived there for 13 years and had never eaten there!

After we ate at Primanti Brothers we went back to my Grandmother's house to pick up Haley and head to the Carnegie Science Center. We had left Haley and Brody with my Grandmother and Mom because Haley decided she didn't want a Primanti sandwich, which was a good decision because I don't think she would have enjoyed it. My Mom and Grandma offered to watch Brody while we headed to the Science Center. There isn't much for babies to do there so we took them up on their offer. It was good to be out without him for a little while, but we were both ready to go back and see him after we left.


My family has season passes to the Science Center so they take trips there often. I used to go there for class field trips when I lived there. It is a really fun place! You could spend hours there, but with Haley's attention span we didn't stay very long. :) My favorite things when I was a kid were the earthquake simulator, the freeze dried food in the gift shop, and the IMAX theater. We didn't go see an IMAX movie, but we did make sure to ride the earthquake simulator and buy some freeze dried ice cream! I ended up giving mine to my cousins because it wasn't as good as I remembered as a kid! Haha.


They had a neat shadow making center. You stood in front of these white boards and a light would flash like it took your picture. When you step away from the wall your shadow remains for a few seconds. It was pretty neat. We did this a few times!


They still had the station where you could pretend to be on the news. They had a blue screen with a tv that would scroll and tell you what to say. They had monitors all around so that you could see yourself in front of the screen so you would know if you were pointing in the right spot if you were telling the weather. Haley liked this a lot, but she wasn't tall enough for the cameras so (you can't see me), but I was kneeling with one knee up and Haley was standing on my knees to get onto the camera!


Like I have said, I have been to the Carnegie Science Center many times, but I had never had the opportunity to go into the submarine that was docked outside on the river. I finally was able to go on it this time. It was pretty neat! It would have been even cooler if we were able to go down into the water! We didn't, but it was still cool.


Before we left, we had some fun trying to catch rockets. There were ramps going up to each of the levels and in the middle of the ramps were really cool stations dealing with air and other things. There was one station where you placed a foam rocket on a stand and pushed down on a button that would propel it by air up into the air. It would occasionally come close enough to catch if you were standing by the railings of the ramps. That's us standing on the ramps ready to catch the rockets! I think we all had a chance to catch one and throw it back before we left. I think it's pretty funny that of all the things the Science Center had to offer, we spent most of our time doing this! Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment