Monday, February 6, 2012

A Little Scare

We went to the doctors soon after finding out we were pregnant. Most doctors wait until 8 or 9 weeks for a normal pregnancy. When I was pregnant with Brody I had told the receptionist that I had been on fertility treatments so she scheduled me earlier and I ended up having low Progesterone and had to take medicine until the second trimester. So, this time, back in November, when I called they again had me come in early. They took my blood and wheeled in a portable ultrasound machine to check on the baby. I ended up having to be put back on Progesterone until the second trimester. When the nurse came in to perform the ultrasound (it was early on in the pregnancy) she didn't seem happy with what she was seeing. She was acting a little strange. I thought I saw what I thought was a heartbeat fluttering, but she later said she didn't see one. She said she needed to go talk to the doctor and see if they could fit me in for an ultrasound on the bigger machine. We waited and waited and she ended up coming back in and saying my doctor decided to just have me come back in on Monday (this was a Friday, I think) and we'd recheck then. I was so nervous! I didn't know what to think all weekend and just tried to stay positive, because there was something on the ultrasound.

Monday came and I hoped I would get an ultrasound on the bigger machine, but instead I got the portable one again. Although, this time my doctor performed the ultrasound. He scanned around for a while and then said that my dates were probably just a little off and joked "why couldn't I just be normal?" :) He did find a heartbeat - a healthy 126 BPM. He saw some sort of a bleed though and asked if I had experienced any spotting or cramping. I had not and he said good, but I needed to "take it easy." Thanks, doctor, for making me nervous again!! He changed my dates from July 6th to July 8th and sent us on our way!

And P.S. I have had further ultrasounds and the bleed has not come up so I'm guessing it's gone. I never think to ask about it and they never mention anything about it.

3 comments:

  1. Goodness. Try to take it easy. At least you're closer to more family now, hopefully they can help (make...) you take it easier. I'm praying for you and baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kellee, I was on a type of progesterone with both Carter and Samuel. Almost the SAME thing happened to me with Samuel, although I was a lot earlier on in my pregnancy than you are. They ran blood work as soon as I found out, of course, but scheduled me to come in at 6 weeks for an ultrasound. They only saw a gest. sac... no heartbeat, nothing. Well, I was also a nervous wreck since I had had miscarriages before, that started out similar to this. So, they said I might just be early, and we waited until my blood work came back. Blood work turned out bad, and my levels were extremely low for a 6 week pregnancy. SO, they did another u/s a couple of days later and still no heart beat. I was then told, that Sam was either a blighted ovum, or a missed miscarriage, and that I would need a d and c. I begged my doctor to let me wait another week and come back for yet another ultrasound. He agreed, and my family prayed.. A LOT that week. I think I walked around like a nervous wreck. Every little pain or twinge would send me panicking. Well, at 7.5 weeks, we got a heart beat! I know you are further along than I am, but I thought I would still share my story with you. I hope your little one is doing well, and that you have a somewhat smooth pregnancy from here on out... if there even IS such a thing as a smooth pregnancy. lol. Praying for you and the little one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that everything seems to be okay at the moment. Pregnancy is great but scary at the same time. We will be praying for your little family! :)

    ReplyDelete